Why does my house smell like sulfur when it rains?

0 votes
asked May 16, 2022 in Other-Home/Garden by lightsensor (10,910 points)
Why does my house smell like sulfur when it rains?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 16, 2022 by Salmorejo (24,790 points)
If your house smells like sulfur when it rains it can be caused by septic tank or sewer line that is allowing water to enter and mixing with the hydrogen sulfide which then comes up into your home.

Raining often causes atmospheric pressure changes, which can lead to the air becoming heavy.

As such, the methane gases typically found in the septic tank don't flow through the vent as they normally would.

Instead, they stay low to the ground, causing a foul smell similar to rotten eggs.

Your sewer vent may also be clogged or not venting properly as well.

You can shower if your water smells like rotten eggs.

When water smells like rotten eggs it's because of the presence of hydrogen sulfide gas which can occur naturally in some water wells.

There's nothing unsafe about taking a shower with the rotten egg smelling water although it may be unpleasant but the water is clean and okay to shower or bathe with.

To get rid of a sewer smell in your shower you need to clean your P Trap or ensure your P Trap is working properly.

Most often when you have a sewer smell in your shower it's due to the P Trap being dry or not working properly to seal off the sewer gases.

You can also get rid of sewer smell in your shower by using vinegar and water.

Mix 1 part bleach and 1 part water, then pour down the drain.

First, pour one cup of baking soda down the drain.

Then add a cup of white vinegar. Cover the drain as the mixture fizzes, then flush with hot water.

You can get sick from breathing in sewage smell although you would have to breathe in a large amount of the sewage smell for it to make you actual sick due to the hydrogen sulfide.

Exposure to low levels of hydrogen sulfide causes irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract.

Other symptoms include nervousness, dizziness, nausea, headache, and drowsiness.

If you've just been smelling just a small amount of sewage for a few minutes or so then the worst that would likely happen is you get sick to your stomach and may vomit.

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs.

Hydrogen sulfide is heavier than air, so it stays low to the ground.

People can smell the specific odor at low concentrations in air ranging from 0.0005 to 0.3 parts per million (ppm).

High levels of hydrogen sulfide can make you sick if you ingest high levels of the hydrogen sulfide or if you inhale high levels of the hydrogen sulfide.

Exposure to hydrogen sulfide can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system.

It can also cause apnea, coma, convulsions; dizziness, headache, weakness, irritability, insomnia; stomach upset, and if liquid: frostbite.

Workers who work around or with hydrogen sulfide may be harmed from exposure to hydrogen sulfide.

Hydrogen sulfide is found in sewers as well as naturally in the ground and in wells such as water well, gas wells etc.

Hydrogen sulfide is found naturally in crude petroleum and natural gas.

It is also produced through the bacterial breakdown of organic matter.

Hydrogen sulfide can be produced by decomposing human and animal waste, and is found in sewage treatment plants and livestock areas.

Hydrogen sulfide (also known as H2S, sewer gas, swamp gas, stink damp, and sour damp) is a colorless gas known for its pungent "rotten egg" odor at low concentrations.

It is extremely flammable and highly toxic.

Hydrogen sulfide also occurs naturally in sewers, manure pits, well water, oil and gas wells, and volcanoes.

Three symptoms of hydrogen sulfide poisoning are nausea, skin and eye irritation and tremors.

Symptoms of acute exposure to hydrogen sulfide include nausea, headaches, delirium, disturbed equilibrium, tremors, skin and eye irritation, and convulsions. Inhaling high concentrations can produce extremely rapid unconsciousness and death.

Hydrogen Sulfide in water is not harmful to humans in small amounts but if the hydrogen sulfide in the water is in higher concentrations then it can be harmful to humans.

These bacteria feed on small amounts of sulfur in the water and thrive in the low oxygen environments present in groundwater wells and plumbing systems.

Although sulfur-reducing bacteria can impart taste and odor in the water, they do not cause health concerns for humans.

Hydrogen Sulfide is toxic because it can cause the inhibition of the cytochrome oxidase enzyme system resulting in lack of oxygen use in the cells.

Hydrogen sulfide is a highly flammable, explosive gas, and can cause possible life-threatening situations if not properly handled.

In addition, hydrogen sulfide gas burns and produces other toxic vapors and gases, such as sulfur dioxide.

Hydrogen Sulfide is poison and is highly toxic to humans and animals.

Exposure to hydrogen sulfide can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system. It can also cause apnea, coma, convulsions; dizziness, headache, weakness, irritability, insomnia; stomach upset, and if liquid: frostbite.

Workers may be harmed from exposure to hydrogen sulfide.

Hydrogen sulfide is a highly toxic gas that can produce extremely rapid CNS and respiratory depression.

It is also an irritant affecting skin and mucous membranes.

There is no proven antidote for hydrogen sulfide poisoning.

H2S is immediately fatal when concentrations are over 500-1000 parts per million (ppm) but exposure to lower concentrations, such as 10-500 ppm, can cause various respiratory symptoms that range from rhinitis to acute respiratory failure.

You can smell hydrogen sulfide gas at lower levels than may cause health effects, so smelling the gas does not always mean that it will make you sick.

However, at higher levels, your nose can become overwhelmed by the gas and you cannot smell it.

Effects of exposure to high levels (100 ppm or higher) of hydrogen sulfide can be serious and life-threatening.

Effects include shock, convulsions, inability to breath, rapid unconsciousness, coma, and death.

Hydrogen sulfide (H₂S) is a colorless gas with a strong odor of rotten eggs.

Exposure to hydrogen sulfide may cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system.

It can also cause apnea, coma, convulsions; dizziness, headache, weakness, irritability, insomnia; stomach upset, and if liquid: frostbite.

Hydrogen sulfide's can cause inhibition of the cytochrome oxidase enzyme system resulting in lack of oxygen use in the cells.

Anaerobic metabolism causes accumulation of lactic acid leading to an acid-base imbalance.

Symptoms of acute exposure include nausea, headaches, delirium, disturbed equilibrium, tremors, skin and eye irritation, and convulsions.

Inhaling high concentrations can produce extremely rapid unconsciousness and death.

62,211 questions

68,667 answers

878 comments

4,610,334 users

...