Can you get sick from breathing in sewage smell?

0 votes
asked May 16, 2022 in Other- Health by lightsensor (10,910 points)
Can you get sick from breathing in sewage smell?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 16, 2022 by Salmorejo (24,790 points)
You can get sick from breathing in sewage smell although you would have to breathe in a large amount of the sewage smell for it to make you actual sick due to the hydrogen sulfide.

Exposure to low levels of hydrogen sulfide causes irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract.

Other symptoms include nervousness, dizziness, nausea, headache, and drowsiness.

If you've just been smelling just a small amount of sewage for a few minutes or so then the worst that would likely happen is you get sick to your stomach and may vomit.

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs.

Hydrogen sulfide is heavier than air, so it stays low to the ground.

People can smell the specific odor at low concentrations in air ranging from 0.0005 to 0.3 parts per million (ppm).

High levels of hydrogen sulfide can make you sick if you ingest high levels of the hydrogen sulfide or if you inhale high levels of the hydrogen sulfide.

Exposure to hydrogen sulfide can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system.

It can also cause apnea, coma, convulsions; dizziness, headache, weakness, irritability, insomnia; stomach upset, and if liquid: frostbite.

Workers who work around or with hydrogen sulfide may be harmed from exposure to hydrogen sulfide.

Hydrogen sulfide is found in sewers as well as naturally in the ground and in wells such as water well, gas wells etc.

Hydrogen sulfide is found naturally in crude petroleum and natural gas.

It is also produced through the bacterial breakdown of organic matter.

Hydrogen sulfide can be produced by decomposing human and animal waste, and is found in sewage treatment plants and livestock areas.

Hydrogen sulfide (also known as H2S, sewer gas, swamp gas, stink damp, and sour damp) is a colorless gas known for its pungent "rotten egg" odor at low concentrations.

It is extremely flammable and highly toxic.

Hydrogen sulfide also occurs naturally in sewers, manure pits, well water, oil and gas wells, and volcanoes.

Three symptoms of hydrogen sulfide poisoning are nausea, skin and eye irritation and tremors.

Symptoms of acute exposure to hydrogen sulfide include nausea, headaches, delirium, disturbed equilibrium, tremors, skin and eye irritation, and convulsions. Inhaling high concentrations can produce extremely rapid unconsciousness and death.

Hydrogen Sulfide in water is not harmful to humans in small amounts but if the hydrogen sulfide in the water is in higher concentrations then it can be harmful to humans.

These bacteria feed on small amounts of sulfur in the water and thrive in the low oxygen environments present in groundwater wells and plumbing systems.

Although sulfur-reducing bacteria can impart taste and odor in the water, they do not cause health concerns for humans.

Hydrogen Sulfide is toxic because it can cause the inhibition of the cytochrome oxidase enzyme system resulting in lack of oxygen use in the cells.

Hydrogen sulfide is a highly flammable, explosive gas, and can cause possible life-threatening situations if not properly handled.

In addition, hydrogen sulfide gas burns and produces other toxic vapors and gases, such as sulfur dioxide.

Hydrogen Sulfide is poison and is highly toxic to humans and animals.

Exposure to hydrogen sulfide can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system. It can also cause apnea, coma, convulsions; dizziness, headache, weakness, irritability, insomnia; stomach upset, and if liquid: frostbite.

Workers may be harmed from exposure to hydrogen sulfide.

Hydrogen sulfide is a highly toxic gas that can produce extremely rapid CNS and respiratory depression.

It is also an irritant affecting skin and mucous membranes.

There is no proven antidote for hydrogen sulfide poisoning.

H2S is immediately fatal when concentrations are over 500-1000 parts per million (ppm) but exposure to lower concentrations, such as 10-500 ppm, can cause various respiratory symptoms that range from rhinitis to acute respiratory failure.

You can smell hydrogen sulfide gas at lower levels than may cause health effects, so smelling the gas does not always mean that it will make you sick.

However, at higher levels, your nose can become overwhelmed by the gas and you cannot smell it.

Effects of exposure to high levels (100 ppm or higher) of hydrogen sulfide can be serious and life-threatening.

Effects include shock, convulsions, inability to breath, rapid unconsciousness, coma, and death.

Hydrogen sulfide (H₂S) is a colorless gas with a strong odor of rotten eggs.

Exposure to hydrogen sulfide may cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory system.

It can also cause apnea, coma, convulsions; dizziness, headache, weakness, irritability, insomnia; stomach upset, and if liquid: frostbite.

Hydrogen sulfide's can cause inhibition of the cytochrome oxidase enzyme system resulting in lack of oxygen use in the cells.

Anaerobic metabolism causes accumulation of lactic acid leading to an acid-base imbalance.

Symptoms of acute exposure include nausea, headaches, delirium, disturbed equilibrium, tremors, skin and eye irritation, and convulsions.

Inhaling high concentrations can produce extremely rapid unconsciousness and death.

62,211 questions

68,666 answers

878 comments

4,610,049 users

...